Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This cake is also my Mom's favorite, although maybe because it was the favorite of her oldest brother. It is a mild chocolate, not requiring complicated procedures to make successfully. We always ate it in October for my brother's birthday.
- 1⁄2 cup powdered chocolate milk mix (Ghiradelli's)
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 3⁄4-2 cups flour, sifted with the salt (Gold Medal Kitchen Tested Enriched)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (Calumet)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dissolve Chocolate in 5 tablespoons hot Water.
- Cream butter; add sugar gradually.
- Beat @ high speed until grain is gone.
- Then add well beaten egg yolks. Beat again.
- Add Milk.
- Add chocolate.
- Add Flour. Beat well.
- In a separate bowl beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Add Baking Powder &Vanilla last until thoroughly mixed.
- Grease 3 layer cake pans with crisco or margerine.
- Dust with flour.
- Bake @ 325o, approximately 1 hours 10 minutes.
- When cake is done, it bounces back when pressed.
- Cool upside down on cake racks.
- Run knife around edges of pan to loosen.
- Butter and powdered sugar frosting, with more chocolate powder works well on the layer cake. Use a filling of your choice, nothing too overpowering.
My kids loved this cake! We made it as directed and frosted it with a chocolate raspberry ganche. Very good! Made for PAC Fall 2009.