Recipe by Sue Lau
Quick and easy to make with a nice zippy flavor. Very nice with some warmed flatbread and hummus.
Top Review by Sage0925
Very nice soup. Some of you might flip out, but I happened to have a smoked turkey thigh simmering in ham bouillon, and I used that for the stock...thankfully, it made for a very nice soup, instead of the disaster that it could have been...LOL
It is a soup that just cries for flatbread (so spaketh the bread addict). A teaspoon of curry powder might be nice...I'll try that next time. And bottled lemon juice works just fine, although I used a bit more than the recipe called for.
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml chopped carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml cumin seed
- 236.59 ml diced tomato (with juice, if canned)
- 946.36 ml vegetable broth or 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 7.39 ml sweet paprika
- 1.23-2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 29.58 ml chopped Italian parsley
- 44.37 ml fresh lemon juice
- 473.18 ml cooked fava beans (rinsed and drained if canned)
- fresh mint leaves, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté chopped onion in olive oil until almost tender.
- Add carrots, garlic and cumin, cooking briefly.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, paprika, cayenne, bay leaves, salt and pepper, stirring to mix.
- Cook over medium heat until carrots are tender.
- Mix parsley, lemon juice, and fava beans into soup and heat gently.
- Serve garnished with fresh mint, if desired.