Quick and easy to make with a nice zippy flavor. Very nice with some warmed flatbread and hummus.
Make and share this Egyptian Bean Soup ( Ful Nabed ) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 cup diced tomato (with juice, if canned)
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked fava beans (rinsed and drained if canned)
- fresh mint leaves, to garnish
- Sauté chopped onion in olive oil until almost tender.
- Add carrots, garlic and cumin, cooking briefly.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, paprika, cayenne, bay leaves, salt and pepper, stirring to mix.
- Cook over medium heat until carrots are tender.
- Mix parsley, lemon juice, and fava beans into soup and heat gently.
- Serve garnished with fresh mint, if desired.