Recipe by Chocolatl
Adapted from Breads of the World. Posted for ZWT6.
Top Review by CaliforniaJan
This bakes up into a loaf that is a lot like cornbread. I started the dough in my bread machine, combining the water, honey, egg and shortening first and then topping that with the barley flour, salt and finally the yeast. I took out the completed dough, shaped it and let it rest and rise in a warm place for an hour. I baked it about 15 minutes in my convection oven. As you can see, it didn't rise much, but it was light and tasty. Made for Every Day is a Holiday Tag.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups barley flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine yeast, water, and honey, and let proof 5 minutes.
- Add salt, eggs and shortening.
- Stir in flour and blend until dough is workable.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a couple of minutes.
- Place in a large greased bowl, turning to coat.
- Cover with a towel and let stand in a warm place for 90 minutes.
- The dough will rise slightly, but will NOT double.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead again.
- Shape into a round cake about 1/2" thick.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Cover with a towel and let rest for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until bread is pale brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cool on a rack.