Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A simple take on a classic west African dish.
- 118.29 ml peanut oil
- 907.18 g stewing beef
- 226.79 g peeled deveined shrimp
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 793.78 g chopped tomatoes
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 236.59 ml ground pumpkin seeds (egusi)
- 453.59 g frozen chopped spinach
- 29.58 ml beef base
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- red pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet and add beef until browned but not cooked. Transfer beef to a dutch over or pot.
- Cover beef with water, add beef base and stir.
- Add remaining ingredients except egusi, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.
- Add egusi.
- Simmer for at least an hour, possibly more. Add water to thin or more egusi to thicken the stew. Add salt to taste.