Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A simple take on a classic west African dish.
Make and share this Egusi Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 1⁄2 lb peeled deveined shrimp
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 28 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup ground pumpkin seeds (egusi)
- 1 lb frozen chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons beef base
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- red pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet and add beef until browned but not cooked. Transfer beef to a dutch over or pot.
- Cover beef with water, add beef base and stir.
- Add remaining ingredients except egusi, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.
- Add egusi.
- Simmer for at least an hour, possibly more. Add water to thin or more egusi to thicken the stew. Add salt to taste.