1/1 Photo of Egusi Soup
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 20 mins
This rich soup is native to West Africa and comes from allrecipes.com. "Ground Egusi seeds give this soup a unique color and flavor. If you can't find Egusi seeds, you can substitute pumpkin seeds. Any combination of crab, shrimp and smoked fish can be used in place of the shrimp. Drained, smoked oysters and chicken can be used in place of the beef." You might even try collards or chopped cabbage instead of spinach.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat, cubed
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 habanero peppers, seeded and minced
- 18 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 lbs fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 1Place pumpkin seeds in a blender and blend for 30 to 40 seconds or until mixture is a powdery paste.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Wash beef and cut into bite-size cubes.
- 4Season with salt.
- 5In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
- 6Add beef and saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until brown but not cooked through.
- 7Place tomatoes, onions, and pepper in a blender and blend for about 30 seconds or until smooth.
- 8Add tomato mixture to meat, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover.
- 9Cook for 40 to 50 minutes or until meat is tender.
- 10Add tomato sauce, water, and shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 11Add spinach and ground pumpkin seeds and continue to simmer 10 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egusi Soup
Serving Size: 1 (461 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 658.4
- Calories from Fat 394
- Total Fat 43.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 261.3 mg
- Sodium 658.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 52.3 g