Recipe by ForeverMama
Source for this recipe is from an old Country Inns of America Cookbook. For avocado lovers, this will be a delight. The dressing pares very well with the avocado. Note that there may be left-over dressing that can be used on other types of salads. In particular it goes well with a wedge salad. Note that the calories noted are for the full measure of the dressing which isn't used in one sitting, therefore it is incorrect.
Top Review by breezermom
I'm a big avocado fan! I really loved the creaminess that the yogurt added to the dressing. I guessed at the amount of red wine vinegar to suit my taste, and was happy with the result. I did let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours, and thought the flavors blended nicely. Thanks for sharing! Made for Photo Tag game!
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, halved and pitted
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves (or other salad greens, such as watercress, to cover 2 salad plates)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 tablespoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- kosher salt or sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For Salad: Slice each half avocado and arrange slices on greens.
- For Dressing: Combine all ingredients with a whisk until well combined. Place dressing in a jar or shaker. Cover jar tightly, shake well and chill at least 2 hours. Shake again and lightly coat avocado slices. Refrigerate remaining dressing and use for other salads.