Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This recipe, and a few to follow, comes from a recipe book found in an old book bin. "California Wine Country Cooking, Volume II is by Yvonne Boulleray. It is a compilation of recipes by her family and friends in France.
- 5 eggs
- 5 baking potatoes
- 3 bunches fresh spinach
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or Swiss)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Bake the potatoes ahead of time, 45 to 60 minutes.
- About 15 minutes before they are done, cook the spinach in boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain spinach, pressing down with a spoon to extract most of the liquid. Chop spinach coarsley and finish cooking in butter over high heat (about 5 minutes), stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 teaspoon cream.
- Cut the top off the baked potatoes lengthwise and remove enough of the insides to make a hole large enough to contain 1 egg. Spread the spinach in a buttered dish. On top place the potatoes, each containing a raw egg. Dot with butter, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with grated cheese, and broil potatoes 5 minutes or until the eggs are cooked.
- This dish makes a complete meal.