Recipe by ellie_
I came across this recipe while looking for breakfast ideas and thought it would be a good way to use up some cottage cheese. Although this calls for Monterey Jack cheese any cheese will work, I've even used American cheese with good results. This makes a lot of servings but it can easily be halved to serve 4-5 people (using an 8x8-inch pan baking for 20-30 minutes). Recipe source: Bon Appetit (January 1987)
Top Review by ~Nimz~
Ellie, we didn't care for this much at all. I'm not sure but it just seemed to lack something, but not sure what. I think I will try a different cheese the next time. I used the monterey cheese only. Maybe substitute Jalapeno peppers for the green chiles or maybe a mixture of both.
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 1 lb grated monterey jack cheese or 1 lb grated monterey jack pepper cheese, for a spicer version
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies, drained
- 1 red bell peppers, chopped or 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Combine first seven ingredients (eggs- pepper) in a large bowl.
- Stir in green chilies and red bell pepper (if using).
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until it is lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.