Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I came across this recipe while looking for breakfast ideas and thought it would be a good way to use up some cottage cheese. Although this calls for Monterey Jack cheese any cheese will work, I've even used American cheese with good results. This makes a lot of servings but it can easily be halved to serve 4-5 people (using an 8x8-inch pan baking for 20-30 minutes). Recipe source: Bon Appetit (January 1987)
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 1 lb grated monterey jack cheese or 1 lb grated monterey jack pepper cheese, for a spicer version
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies, drained
- 1 red bell peppers, chopped or 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Combine first seven ingredients (eggs- pepper) in a large bowl.
- Stir in green chilies and red bell pepper (if using).
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until it is lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Ellie, we didn't care for this much at all. I'm not sure but it just seemed to lack something, but not sure what. I think I will try a different cheese the next time. I used the monterey cheese only. Maybe substitute Jalapeno peppers for the green chiles or maybe a mixture of both.