Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
An absolutely divine brunch dish -- easier than Eggs Benedict and possibly better.
- 14.79 ml butter
- 2 large eggs
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
- 29.58 ml grated swiss cheese
- 2 slice bread, your choice
- 2 slice swiss cheese
- 2 slice cooked ham
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste (Black or Cayenne)
- In a small omelet pan or other small nonstick skillet melt 1 T. butter.
- When butter is melted and just sizzling add 1/2 C Heavy Cream. Warm, but do not boil, cream. Crack eggs into a saucer, one at a time, and carefully slip both into pan. Sprinkle with Salt, Black and/or Cayenne Pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat a bit so eggs will cook slowly.
- Turn oven broiler to high. Set rack about 6" from broiler.
- Toast 2 slices of bread to your desired doneness then butter generously (should be done in a countertop toaster, not oven). Place 1 slice Swiss Cheese and 1 slice Ham on each piece of buttered toast.
- Place toast pieces (with ham and cheese slices, ham on top) under broiler and broil until ham begins to brown a bit and cheese melts around the edges -- you can't see the cheese very well since it is covered with the ham, but the edges should be visible.
- Turn broiler off, but leave toast in oven with door ajar until ready to use.
- Continue to cook eggs slowly until the whites are nearly firm. Sprinkle 2 T. grated Swiss Cheese on top of eggs and continue to cook until whites are firm, but not rubbery. The yolk should still be runny.
- To serve, place 1 egg over each piece of toast, and pour cream from the pan over the egg. The cream will have thickened into a nice sauce.
- Serve immediately.
Made these for a differant breakfast for DH and me and they are really good, Followed directions using sliced english muffins for the bread and did add the cayenne pepper to the eggs while cooking so had the flavor of it in the sauce. Think next time I might even add a little hotsauce to the milk as we like the kick it would give but that's personal taste. It went together so fast and easy and DH was very impressed. Not something you could have every day with all the calories and fat but hey - what a great special occassion.
DH gives it five stars. Nice flavor, but oh, so fattening! Not at all for the calorie conscious, but hey, you gotta live once in a while. Very easy recipe--it took no time to put this together. Five stars all the way! Made for Fall PAC 2008