Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Portugal's answer to Italy's frittata. Great for a special breakfast, brunch, or even lunch.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb zucchini, diced
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in an oven-safe skillet (I use cast iron) over medium high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and zucchini. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook an additional 5 minutes until zucchini is crisp tender. Add tomato sauce, parsley, basil, and oregano. Simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes until sauce thickens slightly.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Whisk until blended. Pour over mixture in skillet. Cook until eggs are set, but still moist on top. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Place skillet under broiler and broil until cheese melts, about 1 minute. Cut into wedges and serve.
Easy to do, versatile and so delicious. I added some diced leek and used fresh herbs nor dried. Made and enjoyed for ZWT5.