Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A perfect way to use up those Easter eggs! Serve hot with delicious toasted bread or English muffins. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947 Cooking time approximate.
- 6 eggs, hard cooked and peeled
- 1⁄2 onion, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup thin white sauce
- cracker, crumbed
- Preheat oven to 400F and butter a casserole dish.
- Chop whites of eggs and mash yolks.
- Saute onion in butter until translucent; add flour and blend.
- Add tomato juice, celery and bell pepper and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Simmer until celery and pepper are tender.
- Add mushrooms, seasoning and Worcestershire sauce; blend well.
- Add white sauce, egg whites and mashed egg yolks.
- Place in prepared casserole and sprinkle with cracker crumbs; dot with butter.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly.