Recipe by Chef 4TeenSon
Submitted for RSC #11. The myriad of flavors, textures and colors combine for an impressive breakfast or brunch. Serve with toast, biscuit or bagel.
Top Review by Elmotoo
We LOVED this. But it took nearly 1 1/2 hours from walking into the kitchen to sitting at the table. I would recommend starting the bacon before making the cheese sauce. I got 4 BIG servings of veggies/cheese sauce & I used 2 egs per kid & 3 eggs per adult. A VERY filling meal!!! This would be good for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Made for Hidden Gems 2/08.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 ounces smoked gouda cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 ounces asiago cheese, grated
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄3 cup shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried cayenne pepper, crushed
- 16 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 14 ounces artichoke hearts, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk while whisking constantly until smooth. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 5 minutes, do not allow to scorch. Add the salt, black pepper and cheeses, stirring until cheese has melted. Remove from heat.
- Thaw spinach by cutting a slit in the top of the bag and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Drain spinach, squeezing to remove excess liquid (a clean kitchen towel works great for this). Coarsely chop the artichoke hearts.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Set bacon aside and pour out all but 1 TBS bacon drippings. Stir in minced shallot and tomatoes until shallots are soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic stirring for another minute. Add spinach and artichokes, tossing gently. Stir in the sauce until warmed through. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide mixture evenly between 4 ramekins or oven-proof bowls. Crack an egg into each ramekin, being careful not to break the yolk.
- Bake on middle rack until egg whites are firm but yolks are still runny, rotating pan halfway through cooking, 20 - 25 minutes. Crumble a bacon slice over each egg. Allow to cool for a few minutes and enjoy.