Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A fabulous recipe! My family and I host an annual Christmas Brunch the Saturday before Christmas Day. We make three batches of this, and it always disappears.It seems like everybody loves this. If you want a spicier dish, try adding 1 (4oz) can of green chilis and/ or 1/3 tsp red pepper.
- 8 slices bread
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb sausage, browned (Try turkey sausage. It is tasty and healthier.)
- 1 (8 ounce) carton mushrooms, sliced and sauteed
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Brush or dip the bread in butter and layer in the bottom of a greased 9" x 13" or larger baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheese, green onions, mushrooms, and sausage over top of the bread.
- Beat eggs, milk, and half and half, together with salt and mustard.
- Pour over the mixture in the baking dish.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Bake 45 minutes, uncovered, at 325 degrees. (Baking two at a time usually takes closer to 60 minutes.).
This was really yummy! I liked how easy it was to prepare. I went right by the directions, with the exception that I used only 1/2 cup melted butter. I brushed it on both sides of the bread until I had used it all, and it seemed to be plenty. I used a slightly larger dish than a 9x13" to be able to get all 8 slices of bread in the dish. I browned the sausage and sauteed the mushrooms earlier in the day, then finished preparing it before bedtime. Thanks for posting!