Recipe by mollypaul
Lively flavors and rich taste from the deep South. This savory delight comes from the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup American cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook vegetables and seasonings together for ten minutes.
- Remove bay leaf; add bread crumbs and place in a buttered casserole.
- Break the eggs on top (without breaking the yolks), sprinkle with salt and pepper and cover with grated cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes until eggs are set and cheese melts.