Prep 1 min
Cook 5 mins
Everyone's mom has made these at one time or another. Fun presentation for a sleep-over breakfast!
- Melt butter in LARGE frying pan over medium heat.
- To one side of the pan, fry bacon slices (or in a separate pan).
- Using a small, round cookie cutter, remove the center of the bread.
- Lay bread slices in pan; lay "holes" to the side; fry for 1 minute, then flip to other side.
- Immediately crack eggs, gently tucking into the hole (one egg per toast slice).
- Turn heat down a smidgen to give eggs a chance to firm up.
- Eggs can be flipped again if the eater wants them "hard" or leave sunny-side up if a runnier egg is desired.
- SERVE: Place egg/toasts on plate, smear "holes" with a dab of jam or honey, lay to the side, add the bacon and holler: "Breakfast is served!".
- IDEAS: Use an herb-butter for frying, to add a different flavor.
- IDEA #2: Use cookie cutters with unusual shapes: flowers, stars, snowmen, snowflakes!
Funny how a recipe can have many different names. My mom and dad made these for us when we were kids and they called them One Eye Pete's. They used a round biscuit cutter to cut out the bread and when cooked, the egg looked just like an eyeball, lol. I made them for my kids and now the grandkids. We always cook bacon with ours as well and it gives the toasted bread/cooked egg a wonderful flavor.
We make a version of this all the time, but frying it with the bacon was new to us and a nice addition. My cookie cutters are too small for this so I just use a glass to cut out a big circle. So quick and easy and delicious. Uses ingredients I always have on hand too. Thanks for sharing.
We call these "bullseyes", and serve them to our grandchildren now that our kids are grown. We never thought to use the bacon, and just butter both sides of the bread instead of melting butter in the pan. I love these, so now will have to try it with bacon. Hey, bacon makes everything taste better, right?? I also like the idea of using cookie cutters to make festive shapes. Can't wait to try it at our next sleepover!