Recipe by Traci in Sheboygan, WI
I wrote this recipe for my teenage kids, who really love it. Cute little individual egg cups made in a muffin pan make breakfast yummy, easy, and convenient - and clean-up is easy, too! Impressive-looking recipe for beginners, or for when you find yourself with a houseful of guests for breakfast.
- shortening or nonstick cooking spray
- 12 pieces white bread
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (1 few grinds )
- 3⁄4 cup cooked bacon (or even chopped hot dogs if you like!) or 3⁄4 cup sausage (or even chopped hot dogs if you like!)
- 6 slices American cheese, cut into 24 strips (cut each piece of cheese into 4 strips)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly grease 2 muffin pans (6 cups each) with shortening or non-stick cooking spray. Do NOT use paper muffin liners for this recipe!
- With a rolling pin, roll 12 pieces of bread as nice and flat as you can.
- Brush melted butter on one side of each piece of bread.
- Place buttered side of bread inside muffin cups and make a nice little bread cup in each. Use your fingers to smoosh the sides and tops into the muffin cups.
- Put muffin pans into the oven for 8 minutes or until they look a little brown and crispy. Carefully remove from oven (use oven mitts) and set pans aside.
- Make scrambled eggs with the eggs and water in a frying pan (or microwave - however you normally would make them).
- When eggs are half-way cooked, stir in the meat and continue cooking until eggs are done.
- Fill the baked bread cups equally with scrambled egg mixture and then, take two slices of cheese and criss-cross them over the tops of the egg cups.
- Bake in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes, or until cheese is nicely melted.