Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
These have a nice bite to them and if you don't care for heat from the chili peppers, just use regular canned diced tomatoes and omit the crushed red peppers. Ro-Tels would work in place of the Red Pack but the cans are 4 ounces smaller.
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canred pack petite diced tomatoes and green chilies (or regular diced for less heat)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil (or 1 leaf fresh, torn)
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese or 1 tablespoon romano cheese or 1 tablespoon asiago cheese
- In a medium non-reactive skillet, saute the garlic in the oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until lightly golden. Add the diced tomato, basil, oregano, salt and pepper and crushed chili flakes to taste. Simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until the sauce gets thickened.
- Break an egg into a small cup; make a well in the tomato sauce with a spoon and slide egg in well. Continue with remaining eggs and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook for about 3 minutes for soft-firm poached eggs or until eggs are done to your likeness.