Recipe by Wade in Indianapolis
From Emmanuelle Mercier (Strasbourg, France) - a traditional Burgundy dish
Top Review by Elmotoo
My entire family loved this! What an accomplishment! I chose this from the French Food & Foto Fun & just made it. There is enough sauce for about 8 -10 servings (toast & egg). I made 6 toast/egg combos & still have about 2c leftover. I admit, I didn't measure the bacon - I just diced up the whole pound. It didn't hurt the recipe at all. ;) Fabulous recipe!
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices bread
- 150 g bacon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 onions, minced
- 4 shallots, minced
- 50 g flour
- 750 ml red Burgundy wine
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer bacon, garlic, onions, and shallots until translucent.
- Add the flour and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the wine and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Let cook at a simmer for about 30 minutes.
- When the dish is ready to be served, poach the eggs for 2 minutes.
- Toast the bread.
- Serve the dish with the sauce over the eggs and toast.