Great, simple brunch dish. My husband asks for it all the time, sometimes even for dinner. This is an adaptation of a recipe from M.F.K. Fisher's "How to Cook a Wolf".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (20 ounce) can tomatoes, with their juice, broken up a bit
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 teaspoons fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram or 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 4 -6 large eggs
- thick slices of toasted French bread or toasted English muffins or waffle
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1Saute the onion, pepper and garlic in the olive oil in a large, deep skillet.
- 2When they are softened, stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs and honey.
- 3Simmer for about 10 minutes, then make indentations in the sauce (as much as possible) with a spoon, and break an egg into each indentation.
- 4Spoon the sauce around and over the eggs, put a lid on the sauce and simmer gently until the eggs are poached.
- 5Lift each egg out onto the toast/muffin/waffle, then spoon the sauce over top.
- 6Sprinkle each with grated Parmesan cheese and serve.
- 7MEXICAN STYLE: To change this dish to a more Mexican flavor, saute 2 tsp cumin seed with the onions and bell pepper.
- 8Cut the basil and marjoram by half, add a pinch of chili powder and a dash of Tabasco sauce.
- 9Before the eggs are finished poaching, sprinkle them with grated cheddar cheese.
- 10Serve them with tortillas and your favorite Mexican toppings: diced avocado, sour cream, chopped onion, etc.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggs in Hell
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.4
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 206.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 8.8 g