Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Did you know Florentine just means that there's spinach in it?
- 3 (10 ounce) packages fresh spinach, washed and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 large eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Place the spinach in a large pot witih 1 inch of water over high heat. Cover and steam until the spinach is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain well. Squeeze the spinach to remove any excess water.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until softened, about 2 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the spinach and cook just until heated through, about 3 minutes. Use a slotted sppoon to transfer the spinach to the baking dish.
- Spread out the spinach in an even layer. Using the back of a spoon, make 8 indentations in the spinach. Crack an egg into each indentation. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the cheese and crumbs evenly over the baking dish.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the egg whites are white and firm. Serve hot.