Recipe by Red Apple Guy
Similar to Eggs Benedict but lower fat, with a provolone cheese sauce and served on wheat toast.
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 ounces provolone cheese
- 2 ounces cooked ham, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the water and vinegar into a shallow pan and bring to a simmer.
- Gently add the eggs, 2 at a time to the water and simmer until done to liking, moving the eggs a bit to prevent sticking.
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Shake the flour and milk together and either blend or continue shaking until well mixed.
- Simmer the milk and flour, stirring, in a small sauce pan.
- Add the cheese in small amount into the sauce and simmer and stir until thick and smooth.
- Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Toast the bread and serve with a slice of ham, a poached egg and cover with sauce.