Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the Canadian Living Test Kitchen. This restaurant method for poached eggs uses Canadian back bacon and Cheddar. Canadian Living Magazine, December 2004.
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 8 eggs
- 8 slices back bacon (or peameal)
- 1 loaf focaccia bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pour enough water into large shallow Dutch oven or skillet to come 2 inches (5 cm) up side; bring to boil. Add vinegar; remove from heat. Break each egg into dish; gently slip into water. Cover and let stand for 3 minutes or until white is set and yolk is still liquid, or to desired doneness.
- With slotted spoon, transfer eggs to large shallow bowl of ice water. (Make-ahead: Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) Reheat in simmering water until hot, 1 to 2 minutes.
- In nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until slightly browned, about 4 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, cut focaccia lengthwise into four 1-inch (2.5 cm) wide slices; reserve remaining bread for another use. Spread with butter; broil until golden.
- Top each slice of focaccia with 2 slices bacon, 2 tbsp (25 mL) each Cheddar and mozzarella cheeses and 2 slices tomato; broil until tomatoes are softened and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
- Top each with 2 eggs. Sprinkle with green onions, salt and pepper.
- Additional Information.