Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
As seen in The Arizona Reporter.
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 lb cooked Italian sausage
- 1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 cups diced mushrooms
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced avocado
- Press the thawed hash browns between paper towels to remove moisture.
- Spray quiche pan with nonstick spray.
- Press hash browns into pan forming a crust and brush with butter.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Spread sausage, peppers and mushrooms in crust.
- Beat together eggs with milk and add salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over ingredients in crust.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
- Slice and serve with tomatoes, avocado and salsa on the side.
Great. I used fresh potatos instead of hash browns, and turkey sausage, and it turned out tasty. The egg topping gives a good glaze.
I enjoyed this recipe but must confess I made a mistake while making it. I forgot to put the cheese on the bottom shell so added it for the last 15 minutes of baking. This took away some of the attractiveness of the dish because with the cheese on the bottom the peppers and mushrooms would show throught the top which I think would be very attractive. The salsa comliments the flavor. I gave this recipe 4 stars because the instructions could be a bit clearer. I was not sure if the sausages should be whole or sliced. After 30 minutes the potato crust was just beginning to brown and I think I would like it crisper and would have left it longer if the color was specified in the instructions. I cut the recipe back to 2 servings (2 eggs and 2 sausages) - no problem. I do not mean to sound critical - this is an excellent recipe and i will make it again. However I will make sure the potatoes are hard pressed together, that they are fully thawed before pressing , slice the sausages and that I let the crust get crisper. This recipe will make a lovely Buffet dish for the holiday season Thanks Laurierleen