This has been a favorite ever since I saw Doris Day eating it in Please Don't Eat The Daisies . This is the best recipe I've found. It came from McCall's Cooking School Cookbook, and it's not as complicated as it sounds.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1Prepare Hollandaise sauce:.
- 2In top in double boiler, with wire whisk, beat egg yolks with 2 tbs. water just until blended.
- 3Cook over hot, not boiling, water, stirring constantly with whisk, until mixture begins to thicken. (This will take about 1 minute).
- 4Add butter to egg yolks, 1 piece at a time,beating after each addition until butter is melted and mixture is smooth before adding the next piece of butter.This takes about 5 minute in all.
- 5Hot water in double-boiler base should not boil or touch bottom of pan above.
- 6Remove double boiler top from hot water in base.
- 7Using a wire whisk, slowly beat in lemon juice, beating just u ntil sauce becomes thick as mayonnaise.
- 8Stir in 1/ teaspoons salt and cayenne.
- 9Place top of double boiler over warm water in base (not over heat on stove).
- 10Cover to keep warm.
- 11Poach eggs: Lightly butter cups of an egg poacher.
- 12Fill bottom of egg poacher 1/4 full of water.
- 13Add 1 teaspoons salt; bring water to a boil.
- 14Reduce heat to a simmer.
- 15Break one egg into a custard cup.
- 16Slip egg into poacher cup.
- 17Cook 3-5 minute to desired doneness.
- 18Loosen egg from cup with table knife.
- 19Place in bowl filled with very warm water.
- 20Repeat until all eggs are cooked.
- 21Spread muffins with butter; wrap ham in aluminum foil.
- 22Broil muffins and ham until muffins are browned and ham is hot.
- 23To serve: Place two muffin halves on each individual serving plate, buttered side up.
- 24Top each serving with 1 slice of ham and two well-drained poached eggs.
- 25Spoon 1/4 cup Hollandaise sauce over each serving and garnish with parsley, if desired.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggs Benedict
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.4
- Calories from Fat 335
- Total Fat 37.3 g
- Saturated Fat 19.4 g
- Cholesterol 567.3 mg
- Sodium 1493.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 23.1 g