Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe comes from a little book called ABC Jiffy Cookery. I've had it for over 50 years. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet. I'm putting them here so I can find them easier.
- 4 thin slices ham, fried
- 4 slices toast or 4 English muffins
- 4 eggs, poached
- hollandaise sauce
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 drop Tabasco sauce (or a few grains cayenne)
- Arrange slice of fried ham on each piece of buttered muffin or toast. Top with a poached egg and spoon quick Hollandaise sauce over all.
- Quick Hollandaise sauce:.
- Melt 1/2 pound butter over hot (not boiling) water. Add 3 egg yolks, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoons salt, 1-2 drops of tabasco all at once, and beat with rotary beater until thick. Remove from hot water, pour over eggs and serve immediately. Uses double boiler.
- Egg-Boiling Hint: Always wet egg shells before placing the eggs in water to boil, to prevent cracking. A cracked egg can still be boiled if you rub the cracked spot with moistened salt before placing the egg into boiling water.
Very good. I used Canadian bacon and we really enjoyed these. Also liked your tip on cracked eggs and plan to try it next time I get the opportunity. Thanks for sharing. Made for What's on the Menu tag.