Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped country-style ham (3 oz., thickly sliced)
- black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 -2 tablespoon sliced scallion
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan with butter, oil, or cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the grits according to package directions.
- Once the grits are cooked, stir in 3/4 cup of Cheddar cheese, the ham, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and the garlic powder and continue stirring until the cheese melts.
- Scrape the grits mixture into the prepared pan.
- Using a spoon, make four egg-size indents in the grits mixture.
- Crack 1 egg into each nest.
- Season the eggs lightly with salt and pepper.
- Top with the remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar.
- Bake until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny and the cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with the scallions.