Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Hungarian American Cooking 1938, Rosa Green. I haven't made these yet but they sound great. Cooking and prep time are a guess.
- 6 large potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk, hot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, shredded
- Bake the potatoes.
- Scoop out the pulp, after cutting a thin slice from the length of the potato.
- Mash pulp to a creamy fluff with butter, hot milk, salt and pepper.
- Fill potato shells, leaving a dent in the middle of each to hold a raw egg.
- Break 1 or 2 eggs into each potato.
- Cover with cheese.
- Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes until the egg is firm and cheese is browned.
Make potatoes ahead of time for camping, wrap potatoes top side up in foil, refridgerate till ready to use. At camp fire open top of foil, add eggs & cheese. Cook on a grate over the hot coals till eggs are cooked and cheese is melted. Great Stuff!!!!!
Loved this recipe, tasty, inexpensive and filling. I used monterrey jack and mixed a little of the cheese into the potato as well before I stuffed it back into the shell. For some reason it took my egg about 25 minutes to cook enough. Enjoyed this great quick dinner - thanks for sharing the recipe!
This is an awesome quick dinner meal. I like eggs for dinner sometimes but this took 1 step higher. I scrambled my egg just a bit before putting in the potato and with the cheese added to it,yummmy. This is definately a keeper. Thanks for the great recipe!!!