Recipe by Clark Cooks
I could not believe I didn't find a version of this recipe anywhere on the web. My family has been serving this as the standard holiday brunch fare as long as I can remember. It is something all of us can make from memory. For those of you who have never made cheese sauce just follow the directions it's hard to mess up, for those of you who are more expert than I make your favorite cheese sauce pour half into a baking dish crack eggs into the dish, bake in the oven until desired doneness. I like mine cooked through my brother likes them runny. serve over toasted english muffin - heaven.
Top Review by jnpj
I cannot give this recipe enough stars! This is one of the best breakfasts I have ever had. The eggs made a really nice Easter morning treat. I cooked mine for just 25 minutes, and they were hard cooked. Definitely cook for less time if you want them runny. I will definitely make this again for special brunches. Thanks so much!
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch hot red pepper flakes or 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 -2 cup cheese, grated (I like sharp cheddar)
- garlic powder (optional)
- salt and pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat sprinkle in flour a little at a time stirring constantly as you go.
- Once all flour has been added you will have a pasty ball in your pan - do not be alarmed begin to add in the milk small amounts at a time stirring as you go, this can take a while, be patient you don't want to make glue.
- All your milk is in and your sauce will now seem a bit thin, do not be alarmed. Begin to slowly add your cheese, letting it melt inches then season to taste (this means you should taste it at this point.)
- Pour about 1/3 of the cheese sauce into the bottom of a baking dish, crack your eggs one by one into the cheese sauce, cover the eggs with the remaining cheese sauce.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 30-45 minutes.
- Serve each egg over an English muffin, sausage ham and/or bacon are great along side.