Prep 10 mins
Cook 17 mins
A yummy recipe From the Tables of Lebanon Cookbook. Sumac has a tart taste similar in flavor to lemon.
- Fry the potatoes in the 1/4 cup olive oil till done, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes and drain.
- Fry the eggs in remaining oil for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Drain off the extra oil, leaving the eggs in the pan.
- Meanwhile, mix the sumac powder with the water, vinegar, mint, salt, garlic, and pepper. Add this mixture to the eggs, and fry for f2 more minutes.
- Add the potatoes and mix well.
- Serve hot with pita bread.
This does make a yummy breakfast. I recently participated in the spice swap and got a jar of sumac. This recipe caught my attention and I'm so glad it did. I did use non-stick pans and couldn't see using as much oil as called. The potatoes were cooked in a small amount of olive oil and the eggs were prepared in a separate pan. After the eggs were cooked the remaining liquid was poured over the potatoes and cooked off a bit before serving. The dish was served with gluten free flour tortillas for a wonderful breakfast treat. Made for Aussie Swap.