Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This was one of the first dishes we learned to make when I was in Home Economics Class back in the late '60. We love it. The only problem seems to be making enough.
- Melt butter, add flour and stir until the mixture is smooth and well blended.
- Add milk very slowly stirring as you add.
- Continue to stir and cook over a low heat.
- Cook until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Add salt and pepper to mixture and set aside.
- Peel boiled eggs and remove the yolks from the eggs.
- Chop the whites of the eggs and add them to the white sauce.
- Toast bread and slice it diagonally.
- Arrange the bread slices on a plate and pour the sauce over the toast.
- Take a grater and grate the egg yolks over the sauce.
- Serve warm.
Such an old recipe..but it's my family's favorite! To update it a bit add some Truffle Oil to the white sauce. A greet way to use those Easter eggs!
This has been a family favorite of ours for many many years!!!!! An awesome quick & easy meal!
This was wonderful! My mom used to make this for us every Easter and Christmas morning, and this was my first time making it on my own. Th recipe was very easy to follow, and delicious. Thank you!