Prep 2 hrs 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
These are very labor intensive. Brenda, a friend, and I prepared these and it took us a long time because there are so many steps. However, next time I would add fresh grated Parmesan to the bread crumbs for a different intensity of flavor. I loved them, as is.
- 6 medium size eggplants
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 green peppers, diced
- 4 medium size onions, chopeed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb shelled medium-sized shrimp
- 1 lb white lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (or more)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Cut eggplants lengthwise into halves.
- Drop into a lare kettle of boiling water and simmer until soft, but not mushy.
- Drain, cool enough to handle, and scoop out the pulp withoput damaging the shells.
- Set the shells aside to drain.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet and cook the green peppers, onions, celery and garlic in it, stirring now and then, until vegetables are limp.
- Add the scooped out eggplant pulp, cover, and let the mixture "smother" over medium heat until most of the water has evaporated.
- Add shrimp and cook for 20 minutes longer.
- Transfer everything to a large bowl and fold in the crab meat and parsley.
- Season to taste.
- Let the stuffing cool a little, then fold in as much of the bread crumbs need to make a rather firm stuffing.
- Fill the eggplant shells.
- Sprinkle the rest of the crumbs on top, then sprinkle with paprika.
- Dribble the remainder of the oil on the top.
- Bake in preheated 350ºF oven for 30 minutes or longer, until heated through and browned on top.