Recipe by Collegechyc
This is from Hubert Keller's PBS show. Ever since I saw it I couldn't wait to make it. My family isn't normally interested in non-meat main dishes but this is always a hit. Enjoy!
- 1 pie shell (baked in a deep dish pie pan)
- 3 eggplants
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 small zucchini, thinly sliced (about 1 lb.)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 1⁄4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt & pepper
- 6 fresh basil leaves, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- To prepare the filling, lightly brush a baking pan with olive oil. Place the eggplant halves skin side up on the pan and roast in the oven for 40 – 45 minutes, or until completely tender.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. When cool, carefully scoop out the flesh and transfer to a strainer, discarding the skin. Let drain for 20 minutes, and then chop coarsely.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until blended.
- Gradually pour in the milk while stirring and continues to stir until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat. Fold in the goat cheese and the eggs one by one.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and a dash of nutmeg.
- Add the chopped eggplant and garlic into the mixture.
- Spoon the eggplant mixture into the pie shell and spread it out evenly.
- Slice the tomatoes and zucchinis into thin slices. Beginning on the outermost edge of the pie and working clockwise, arrange
- alternating tomato and zucchini disks on top of the eggplant mixture, overlapping slightly. To fill the center, arrange alternating tomato and zucchini disks counter clockwise, overlapping slightly.
- Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs, thyme leaves and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the eggplant pie on a baking sheet in the center of the oven and bake about 30 minutes.
- To prepare the sauce, combine the olive oil and onion in a saucepan and sauté over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, bell pepper, thyme, sugar, salt and pepper
- and cook for 15 minutes, or until it thickens. Adjust the seasonings if necessary and stir in the basil. Keep warm.
- Remove the pie from the oven and un-mold onto a warm serving dish or cut into slices. Serve with the sauce on the side.