Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a good way to use fresh veggies...from the July/Aug '09 Simple and Delicious. I did add a little red wine to the cooked ground beef and let it cook off a little before I added the puree, and I also let the sauce simmer for a little while to marry the flavors.
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 8 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large bowl combine the eggplant, zucchini, squash, onion, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Transfer to two 15x10" baking pans coated with cooking spray.
- Bake in a preheated 425 oven for 20-25 min or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomato puree, Italian seasoning and brown sugar.
- Drain pasta; stir in tomato mixture and roasted vegetables.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
I was so impressed by this easy, different, healthy and delicious meal! I , too, added red wine to my sauce. I used more vegetables thanks to the reviews. I used a big eggplant and 2 zucchinis and used 4 cloves minced garlic. I also seasoned the beef while browning it with Emeril's Essence, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. I made the sauce first and let it simmer while the vegetables were roasting so the flavors blended together more in the sauce. Garnished it with fresh basil and we couldn't stop eating it! Columbus Foodie is right, the vegetables are the best part. This is big flavor in a small amount of time-10 stars!
This meal is very good! Following the advice of the previous rater, I too added a little wine to the beef. This makes ALOT of food! Very tasty and very healthy!
Excellent recipe! Here's what I changed (and all worked out great):
Used 2 zucchini instead of 1 zucchini and 1 summer squash, used 2 small eggplant, 1/2 pound fresh green beans, used total of 4 teaspoons garlic, used 13.75 oz box of whole wheat penne instead of 16 oz white, skipped the ground beef,used 28 oz crushed tomatoes instead of puree (not sure if this is the same or not?), and used about 3/4 cup of red wine. Instead of roasting the veggies, I cooked them in the frying pan over med heat for 20-25 min, stirring occasionally. I added the wine about half way through the veggie cooking time. A little trick I use with every tomato-base was to sprinkle in about 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda -- it neutralizes the acid without changing the flavor. I also mixed in some shredded mozzarella when I served it -- Yum!! I loved this recipe and will add it to my weekly recipes!