Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
Makes a great Spanish Tapa. Recipe was adapted from "the tapas cookbook", by Adrian Linssen and Sara Cleary. Served at dinner parties either as an appetizer or when serving hot nibbles.
- 1 large eggplant, cut in rounds
- 0.59 ml salt, for each round
- 70.87 g flour
- olive oil (sufficient to cover base of frying pan)
- 226.79 g large cleaned raw shrimp
- cilantro, for garnish
Cheese Sauce (use 1 cup)
- 56.69 g butter
- 29.58 ml flour
- 236.59 ml warmed milk
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 bay leaf
- 0.25 ml nutmeg
- 70.87 g monterey jack cheese, manchego cheese or 70.87 g parmesan cheese
- 14.79 ml heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk
- fresh ground pepper
- Cut eggplant into thin rounds a place on paper towel.
- Sprinkle with salt and cover with another paper towel held down by a dinner plate for 20 minutes to remove moisture from the eggplant.
- Pat dry with a paper towel and pass the eggplant rounds through the flour.
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan to cover the bottom.
- Fry until golden and set aside on another paper towel to drain.
- Cheese Sauuce:.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan.
- Add the flour to make a roux.
- Add the warmed milk a little at a time, stirring constantly.
- Add the onion, nutmeg and bay leaf and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, beat in the egg yolk with a wisk, remove the bay leaf and add the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the shrimp into the sauce (the sauce should be should be somewhat thick).
- Place the eggplant rounds on a geased cookie sheet and spoon the shrimp/cheese sauce over the rounds.
- Bake in a 400 degree F (200 degree C) until golden brown.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.