Recipe by LifeIsGood
A Lebonese recipe from Jeff Smith. Rounds of eggplant topped with lamb in a flavorful sauce. You could serve this as a light main course, a side or even as an appetizer!
Top Review by twissis
Made exactly as written for the FYC Tag Game @ FF&F - Gosh, this was good "Special K". You know I tinker with or expand recipes fairly often, but something kept me from it this time & was I ever glad. It was outstanding & I wouldn't change or add a thing. Loved the spicing of the garlic, allspice & cinnamon. It was yummy! Thx for sharing this sure-to-be repeated recipe w/us. :-)
- 1 lb ground lean lamb
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce, canned
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts (you might want to add more for personal taste)
- 1 large eggplant
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the lamb, onion and garlic in the oil, in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the meat is browned, add the salt, pepper, tomato sauce, red wine, cinnamon, allspice and pine nuts. Cook for about 15 minutes while the sauce reduces a little.
- Cut the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices. Lightly brown them in a separate skillet with just a touch of olive oil. Turn and brown the other sides. Do not overcook, just brown them.
- Place the eggplant slices on a baking sheet and spread some of the filling on each.
- Bake in a 375 degree F. oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until it is all hot and the eggplant is tender.