Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
from his website. He writes, "Traditional pâtés are often made from high-fat meats and liver. They can be delicious and quite elegant, but less than nutritious. This vegetarian version is sophisticated, filled with flavor, and healthful. Enjoy it on a special occasion or as an everyday spread with whole-grain crackers."
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, peeled, grated and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 450°F Pierce the eggplant with a fork in several places and bake until very soft, about 45 minutes.
- While the eggplant is baking, grind the walnuts in a food processor until very fine, and set aside.
- Remove the eggplant from oven, slash to let steam escape, drain off any liquid, and scrape the pulp into a food processor with the ginger root, garlic and olive oil. Process until smooth.
- Add the ground walnuts and allspice, and process until smooth.
- Season to taste with the salt, and hot pepper sauce.
- Spoon into a small loaf dish and chill several hours or until firm.
I LOVE this spread! Have made it twice now and it has great flavor. I didn't need to 'drain' the liquid off the eggplant and in my oven cooked for less time (but my oven runs hot). I did not have allspice so did a dash of cinnamon and cloves. I also did a little extra garlic, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Next time I'd actually like to try to blend in the skins of the eggplant...
Made this last night- had it with a whole grain sourdough bread. It was delicious! So simple to make too! I think it would be great as a spread for a sandwich as well
This has a nice mild flavour (I left out hot pepper sauce). Didn't exactly set to a pate like consistency, but very nice as a spread/dip. Thanks!