Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious & healthy
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 head garlic
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes (preferrably italian-style)
- 1 lb penne pasta (or other medium sized pasta)
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- Skin& chop eggplant.
- Peel garlic cloves.
- Saute garlic cloves& eggplant and 2 teaspoons kosher salt in oil until oil is pretty much soaked up (not too long).
- Put can of tomatoes in pan with eggplant& garlic.
- Cover and simmer on low approx 20 minutes or until eggplant is soft.
- Spoon mixture out into blender and blend-- you may have to do this in stages as it may not all fit into one blender.
- Result will be an orange colored smooth sauce.
- Add fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Keep sauce warm while you boil water for pasta.
- Make pasta and toss with eggplant sauce, serve immediately with freshly grated pecorino romano cheese.
one of my favorites. I make this almost once a week. As one reviewer suggested, I saute the eggplant and garlic with crushed red pepper. I usually use half a big can of crushed tomatoes and add a little italian seasoning. Love it.
I added some crushed red pepper, which added some nice zip. This made a HUGE amount - there are just two of it, and we were eating it for days!
This was a very good recipe and my parents and I really enjoyed it! The only thing I would say is because I used fresh tomatoes, it would be wise to strain the sauce just prior to serving in order to remove all the tomatoe skins that got rolled up whilst blendering. Other than that it was quite delicious and thank you for posting it! Made good use of my leftovers from eggplant parmesan too!