Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a tangy relish which is good on fish, chicken or pork.
- 38 ounces eggplants, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 1⁄2 ounces vidailia onions, diced (or other sweet onion)
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 ounces garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped (less if dry)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh sage, loosely packed and chopped (less if dry)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 20 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 ounces honey
- In a colander placed over a bowl, mix eggplant, onion and salt. Let it drain for 1 hour.
- Wrap in a kitchen towel and squeeze over the sink to remove excess water. In a large saute pan over medium high heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add the eggplant-onion mix, garlic, sage, thyme and pepper and cook, stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the tomatoes.
- In another pot over medium high heat, bring the vinegar and honey to a boil. Keep hot.
- Use good water bath canning techniques to can.