Eggplant Stew (Simple, Persian Style)
- Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a pot. Add the finely chopped onions and sauté over medium heat until they begin to brown.
- Add the turmeric, beef and garlic. Cook until the beef is browned.
- Add the water, tomato sauce, and 1 tsp salt. Cover, and simmer over low heat for 2.5 hours.
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise into pieces about 1/4" thick. Sprinkle them on each side with the remaining salt and place them aside for 20 minutes in a strainer set over a plate.
- Afterward, rinse each piece and pat dry. Sauté them in the remaining oil over medium heat until they begin to brown, then set them aside.
- Add the eggplant to the beef and simmer for another hour.
- Serve over Basmati rice or with bread.