Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book cookbook. She says Ringo and his mates dropped by her TV show one day and sang her a song. During his visit, Ringo told Rachael he makes a wonderful pesto,. He's a vegetarian, so Rachael created this recipe in honor of his appearance.
- 118.29 ml extra virgin olive oil (EEVO)
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 236.59 ml seasoned bread crumbs
- 236.59 ml parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 59.14 ml fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4.92 ml lemon zest
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium firm eggplants
- 793.78 g can tomatoes (San Marzano recommended)
- salt and pepper
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 78.07 ml pesto sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 236.59 ml provolone cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Line up three shallow dishes on your counter. Add the flour to the first, the eggs to the second and the bread crumbs, grated cheese, parsley, lemon zest, and garlic to the last bowl. Beat the eggs with a splash of water.
- Cut the top and bottom off the eggplants, slice the skin off of each side, then cut each eggplant lengthwise into 4 steaks, each 1-1 1/2" thick. Coat all 8 steaks first in the flour, then in the beaten egg, and finally in the cheesy bread crumbs.
- Working in 2 batches, brown 4 of the breaded eggplant steaks in the hot oil until golden, about 2 minutes on each side, then lay them on a baking sheet and place in the oven to stay warm.IIf you place the eggplant steaks on a wire rack set onto the baking sheet they will get extra crispy.) Wipe out the pan and heat the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Repeat the browning process, then move all the steaks to the oven and finish cooking through, about 10 minutes.
- While the eggplant steaks are in the oven, heat the tomatoes and their juices in a small sauce pot over medium high heat. Mash up the tomatoes with a potato masher or wooden spoon, season them with salt and pepper, and stir in the tomato paste. Once the tomatoes come up to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the pesto.
- Remove the steaks from the oven and switch on the broiler.
- On the baking sheet, stack one eggplant steak topped with a little sauce, then another steak, another ladle of sauce, and one quarter of the provolone. Make 8 stacks total. Brown the eggplant stacks under the broiler to melt the cheese.
- Serve 2 stacks per person.