From Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book cookbook. She says Ringo and his mates dropped by her TV show one day and sang her a song. During his visit, Ringo told Rachael he makes a wonderful pesto,. He's a vegetarian, so Rachael created this recipe in honor of his appearance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 118.29 ml extra virgin olive oil (EEVO)
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 236.59 ml seasoned bread crumbs
- 236.59 ml parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 59.14 ml fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4.92 ml lemon zest
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium firm eggplants
- 793.78 g can tomatoes (San Marzano recommended)
- salt and pepper
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 78.07 ml pesto sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 236.59 ml provolone cheese, shredded
- 1Preheat oven to 375*F.
- 2Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- 3Line up three shallow dishes on your counter. Add the flour to the first, the eggs to the second and the bread crumbs, grated cheese, parsley, lemon zest, and garlic to the last bowl. Beat the eggs with a splash of water.
- 4Cut the top and bottom off the eggplants, slice the skin off of each side, then cut each eggplant lengthwise into 4 steaks, each 1-1 1/2" thick. Coat all 8 steaks first in the flour, then in the beaten egg, and finally in the cheesy bread crumbs.
- 5Working in 2 batches, brown 4 of the breaded eggplant steaks in the hot oil until golden, about 2 minutes on each side, then lay them on a baking sheet and place in the oven to stay warm.IIf you place the eggplant steaks on a wire rack set onto the baking sheet they will get extra crispy.) Wipe out the pan and heat the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Repeat the browning process, then move all the steaks to the oven and finish cooking through, about 10 minutes.
- 6While the eggplant steaks are in the oven, heat the tomatoes and their juices in a small sauce pot over medium high heat. Mash up the tomatoes with a potato masher or wooden spoon, season them with salt and pepper, and stir in the tomato paste. Once the tomatoes come up to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the pesto.
- 7Remove the steaks from the oven and switch on the broiler.
- 8On the baking sheet, stack one eggplant steak topped with a little sauce, then another steak, another ladle of sauce, and one quarter of the provolone. Make 8 stacks total. Brown the eggplant stacks under the broiler to melt the cheese.
- 9Serve 2 stacks per person.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Steaks Parmigiana Alla Ringo Star
Serving Size: 1 (668 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 835.6
- Calories from Fat 431
- Total Fat 47.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 196.1 mg
- Sodium 1291.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.6 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 33.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: