Chef #901492's Note:
This is simple recipe inspired by the South Beach Diet Super Charged Cookbook. I wanted to use up some left over ingredients from a day of cooking and I also had received an abundance of Squash in my farm box that week. This is an easy recipe to create and it is easily modified to suit your kitchen and your taste buds. This recipe is vegetarian if you don't use a bolognese but as I am an omnivore I sometimes add cooked sausage after I add the mushrooms and olives. The recipe can be modified depending on how many you want to serve or how much squash you need to use. It makes great use of left over ingredients and an over abundance of summer squash. It makes great left-overs and freezes well.
My Private Note
full co ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 small eggplants (any type)
- 2 -4 small crookneck yellow squash
- 2 small zucchini
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated grated asiago-parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup raw mushrooms, coarsely diced
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives, coarsely diced
- 1Turn oven to broil.
- 2Cut two medium to small eggplants in 1 inch slices. Cut yellow squash or small zucchini length-wise to similar width ( basically you want them to be similar size for similar bite texture later).
- 3Oil baking pan with 14 cup olive oil.
- 4Place squash slices on pan packed together but not overlapping.
- 5Place under broiler for 6 minutes.
- 6Turn squash over. Take care not to burn yourself, the squash and the pan are now quite hot!
- 7Drizzle with remaining olive oil.
- 8Broil for an additional 5-6 minutes (the squash should look well browned but not burnt).
- 9Remove pan from broiler and set oven to 425.
- 10Mix grated cheeses together.
- 11Pour tomato sauce to cover squash lightly.
- 12Sprinkle on mixed grated cheese.
- 13Sprinkle on mushrooms and olives.
- 14Top with a little more mixed grated cheese.
- 15Put pan in oven for 8-10 minutes.
- 16Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant & Squash ' Pizza', Gluten Free, Also ' South Beach
Serving Size: 1 (447 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 444.5
- Calories from Fat 336
- Total Fat 37.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 25.8 mg
- Sodium 494.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
crookneck yellow squash