Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 mins
This is simple recipe inspired by the South Beach Diet Super Charged Cookbook. I wanted to use up some left over ingredients from a day of cooking and I also had received an abundance of Squash in my farm box that week. This is an easy recipe to create and it is easily modified to suit your kitchen and your taste buds. This recipe is vegetarian if you don't use a bolognese but as I am an omnivore I sometimes add cooked sausage after I add the mushrooms and olives. The recipe can be modified depending on how many you want to serve or how much squash you need to use. It makes great use of left over ingredients and an over abundance of summer squash. It makes great left-overs and freezes well.
- 2 small eggplants (any type)
- 2 -4 small crookneck yellow squash
- 2 small zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated grated asiago-parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup raw mushrooms, coarsely diced
- 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives, coarsely diced
- Turn oven to broil.
- Cut two medium to small eggplants in 1 inch slices. Cut yellow squash or small zucchini length-wise to similar width ( basically you want them to be similar size for similar bite texture later).
- Oil baking pan with 14 cup olive oil.
- Place squash slices on pan packed together but not overlapping.
- Place under broiler for 6 minutes.
- Turn squash over. Take care not to burn yourself, the squash and the pan are now quite hot!
- Drizzle with remaining olive oil.
- Broil for an additional 5-6 minutes (the squash should look well browned but not burnt).
- Remove pan from broiler and set oven to 425.
- Mix grated cheeses together.
- Pour tomato sauce to cover squash lightly.
- Sprinkle on mixed grated cheese.
- Sprinkle on mushrooms and olives.
- Top with a little more mixed grated cheese.
- Put pan in oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!