Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was a recipe that my paternal grandmother brought with her from Romania. This is a recipe that you either like or don't like. I have always loved this recipe.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 slices white bread or 10 slices pita bread
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Wrap the eggplants in aluminum foil and place onto baking sheet.
- Bake until soft and the skin is charred, about 1 hour.
- Slice open the eggplants and scoop out all of the insides, placing it into a large bowl.
- Chop the eggplants with a fork and add the chopped onions, oil, salt and pepper.
- Mix well with a fork.
- Spread this rough mixture onto the slices of white bread or pita bread and serve as an appetizer.
This is absolutely delicious, just like the appetizer I was served by my Romanian friend. When I served it on slices of soft French bagels as an appetizer, my dinner guests gobbled it up and asked for the recipe! This is indeed a special recipe, and I thank you for posting it.
This is the way my father and grand father who came from Rumania made it but they added a little green pepper to it. It was just wonderful and brought back some beautiful memories.
This is perfect as is thank you for posting I did add 1 teaspoon mayo because that is how we make it in our family with sliced tomato on top this is definatly a 10 STAR recipe