Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I love thick, chunky, fresh spaghetti sauce. Nothing I could find was quite what I was looking for so I made this one up one day. Love it!
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb portabella mushroom, sliced in quarters
- 1 (8 ounce) box frozen spinach, thaw and squeeze water out
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- Combine all in crockpot on low for 4-6 hours.
- OR -- Combine all and simmer on stovetop on low for 3 hours.
The vegetables all together was a terrific idea! However I had to put at least 3 times the amount of seasonings in to have it not taste just like tomatoes. I think this a good basic recipe idea but needs more help.
This sauce is really delicious! I actually like it better than the eggplant spaghetti sauce that I have been making myself for years. It makes a lot. We had some for dinner tonight, I put some into a 2-cup size jar to take to work for a vegan friend, and I still have enough for two more dinners. Can't wait to taste it reheated!