Recipe by Pianolady
This is my favorite way to enjoy eggplant, and comes from Julia Child's Kitchen -- known as "Puree D'Aubergine A L'ail". This is the first recipe I have posted, and is in response to a request... so I hope you enjoy!! :)
- 1 lb eggplant, firm and shiny
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pureed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake the eggplant: Pierce 2 or 3 places with a sharp knife on one side and then the other.
- Place in an oiled baking dish in the middle of a 425F oven for 25- 30 minutes until thoroughly soft to the touch.
- --or-- Steam the eggplant: Place eggplant in a vegetable rack or sieve and set in a pan of boiling water, not letting the water tough the eggplant; cover tightly and steam 15 to 20 minutes or longer, depending on the size.
- Be careful not to overcook.
- When the eggplant is soft all over, cut in half lengthwise and scrape the flesh from the skin.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and cook slowly a minute; then add the eggplant.
- Beat and stir with a wooden spoon for several minutes to break the eggplant meat into a puree.
- Beat in salt and pepper to taste, then add drops of lemon juice, to taste.
- May be cooked in advance: Just before serving, reheat and fold in the parsley, and turn into a hot vegetable dish.