Recipe by spatchcock
Made this yesterday for our dinner. It is imperative to use very fresh, crusty bread; the recipe calls for foccaccia, but I used ciabatta. This makes an EXCELLENT sandwich. If you have leftovers, reheat in a low oven; microwaving will yield gummy, soggy leftovers.
For the sandwich
- 1⁄4 cup flour (60 mL)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt (2 mL)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (2 mL)
- 1 italian eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch (6 mm)
- 1 cup olive oil (250 mL)
- 1 loaf focaccia bread
- 4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 roasted red peppers, peeled and seeded
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated asiago cheese (375 mL, I think feta would work well, too, though it's a different consistency)
For the olive pesto (use 1 cup or 250 ml)
- 1 cup black olives, pitted (I used kalamata)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Coat each eggplant slice with the seasoned flour.
- In a large skillet heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil over medium-high heat and fry the eggplant slices until golden brown on both sides, adding more oil as needed. Remove the eggplant from the skillet and blot lightly on paper towels.
- Cut the focaccia in 1/2 horizontally and spread the Black Olive Pesto on the inside of both halves. Arrange the eggplant slices on 1 half of the focaccia. Layer the tomatoes and roasted peppers on top and sprinkle with cheese. Cover with the other half of the focaccia, pressing firmly to join.
- Cut the sandwich in 2 pieces. Brush each side of the focaccia with olive oil. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and grill both sides until golden and crispy. Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and gooey.
- Cut each sandwich into 3 and serve warm.
- Black olive pesto:.
- In a food processor puree the olives, Parmesan, olive oil, and garlic until smooth.
- Can be stored in the refrigerator for several weeks in an air tight container.