Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We get eggplant and the local farmers market and this is ayummy way to use it up!
Make and share this Eggplant Sandwich recipe from Food.com.
- 1 eggplant, sliced horizontally
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, stems removed and cleaned and sliced thick
- 2 large roma tomatoes, sliced thick
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marsala wine
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 slices crusty Italian bread
- Salt eggplant and let stand for about 1/2 to 1 hour to drain excess water. Wipe eggplant dry. Heat olive in a large skillet, add eggplant and fry until tender, remove to paper towels to drain. Salt and pepper to taste. Fry mushroom slices in the oil until tender and remove to paper towels to drain. Salt and pepper to taste. Fry tomato slices in oil until just warm, remove. Combine eggs and marsala and beat well. Dip one side of bread in egg mixture, lay bread, dipped side down on work surface, layer the eggplant, mushrooms, tomatoes and cheese on bread. Dip one side of the remaining slice of bread in egg mixture and put on top of sandwich. Place the sandwich in the heated pan and fry until the bread is solid, turn and repeat on other side. Serve warm or at room temperature.