1 hr 15 mins
A different variation to traditional stuffed shells.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 red bell peppers, roasted
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/4 lb genoa salami, chopped
- 1 cup coarsely grated mozzarella cheese (1/4 pound)
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil leaf
- 3/4 lb jumbo pasta shells
- 1In a colander, toss the eggplant with salt and cover it with a plate small enough to fit inside the colander.
- 2Weight the plate down and let eggplant drain 30 minutes.
- 3Purée bell peppers with broth, oil, garlic, basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- 4Cover and set aside.
- 5In a large skillet cook onion in oil until softened.
- 6Add eggplant and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the eggplant is cooked through.
- 7Combine the ricotta, salami, mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, basil, eggplant mixture and salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Cook the pasta shells in boiling salted water for 13 – 15 minutes, until they are al dente.
- 9Drain shells in colander and rinse them under cold water.
- 10Drain well.
- 11Spread half the reserved sauce in bottom of large baking dish.
- 12Stuff shells with eggplant mixture and arrange them in the dish.
- 13Bake, covered tightly with foil, 30 minutes at 350°F.
- 14Heat remaining sauce and serve with shells.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant, Salami & Cheese-Stuffed Shells W/Red Pepper Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1037.0
- Calories from Fat 523
- Total Fat 58.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.9 g
- Cholesterol 163.6 mg
- Sodium 1227.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 42.5 g