Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A different variation to traditional stuffed shells.
Make and share this Eggplant, Salami & Cheese-Stuffed Shells W/Red Pepper Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 red bell peppers, roasted
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 lb genoa salami, chopped
- 1 cup coarsely grated mozzarella cheese (1/4 pound)
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh basil leaf
- 3⁄4 lb jumbo pasta shells
- In a colander, toss the eggplant with salt and cover it with a plate small enough to fit inside the colander.
- Weight the plate down and let eggplant drain 30 minutes.
- Purée bell peppers with broth, oil, garlic, basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Cover and set aside.
- In a large skillet cook onion in oil until softened.
- Add eggplant and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the eggplant is cooked through.
- Combine the ricotta, salami, mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, basil, eggplant mixture and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the pasta shells in boiling salted water for 13 – 15 minutes, until they are al dente.
- Drain shells in colander and rinse them under cold water.
- Drain well.
- Spread half the reserved sauce in bottom of large baking dish.
- Stuff shells with eggplant mixture and arrange them in the dish.
- Bake, covered tightly with foil, 30 minutes at 350°F.
- Heat remaining sauce and serve with shells.
The shells themselves were very tasty, but I didn't much care for the sauce. It might be just a personal thing, but I felt it needed something to 'round' it out. Next time, I think I'll add maybe a 1/4 cup of cream and a half teaspoon of tomato paste to it.
We realy enjoyed the whole dish, and found the sauce tasty too! I had to use smaller shells as the 4 supermarkets here didnt have realy big shells. The one thing that I would comment on was the prep time, 10 minutes? it took me that long to chop the onion and eggplant, more to roast the capsicums, and more to fill the shells, mince the basil, grate the cheese,............. But it was a nice dish, and if I ever find big shells I would probably make it again.