Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A different variation to traditional stuffed shells.
Make and share this Eggplant, Salami & Cheese-Stuffed Shells W/Red Pepper Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 red bell peppers, roasted
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 lb genoa salami, chopped
- 1 cup coarsely grated mozzarella cheese (1/4 pound)
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh basil leaf
- 3⁄4 lb jumbo pasta shells
- In a colander, toss the eggplant with salt and cover it with a plate small enough to fit inside the colander.
- Weight the plate down and let eggplant drain 30 minutes.
- Purée bell peppers with broth, oil, garlic, basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Cover and set aside.
- In a large skillet cook onion in oil until softened.
- Add eggplant and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the eggplant is cooked through.
- Combine the ricotta, salami, mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, basil, eggplant mixture and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the pasta shells in boiling salted water for 13 – 15 minutes, until they are al dente.
- Drain shells in colander and rinse them under cold water.
- Drain well.
- Spread half the reserved sauce in bottom of large baking dish.
- Stuff shells with eggplant mixture and arrange them in the dish.
- Bake, covered tightly with foil, 30 minutes at 350°F.
- Heat remaining sauce and serve with shells.