Recipe by evelyn/athens
A sensational way to do eggplant - and easy too! Serves 6 as an appetizer, 4 as a main (vegetarian) course.
Top Review by jody notarianni
i didn't have the chevre or boursin cheeses on hand, so i used mozz and parm cheese with a slice of prosciuto and they were very delicious. the basil is a key ingredient and sould not be omitted. definately slice on the think side and make sure to peel it also. this would make an interesting appetizer.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 lbs tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped coarse
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 lb flask-type eggplant, cut lengthwise into ¼ inch thick slices,sprinkle both sides of eggplant slices lightly with salt and
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chevre cheese or 1⁄2 cup boursin cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup shredded basil leaves
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh basil leaf (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- For sauce: Cook onion in oil over moderately-low heat, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook, stirring, until onion is softened.
- Add tomatoes, sugar and salt to taste and cook over moderate heat for 20 minutes.
- Puree mixture in processor until completely smooth and continue cooking over moderately-high heat for 5-10 minutes until thickened.
- Make rolls: Preheat broiler.
- In a bowl, stir together mozzarella, goat cheese and shredded basil.
- Pat eggplant dry.
- Arrange 1 layer of eggplant in a baking pan and brush with some of the oil.
- Broil 4 inches away from heat source for 3-4 minutes, or until golden.
- Turn, brush with remaining oil, and broil 3-4 minutes more.
- Transfer to a large platter to cool.
- Spread a mounded teaspoon of the cheese mixture lengthwise down the middle of each eggplant slice, leaving a 1 inch border at the wide end and, beginning at the narrow end, roll up jelly roll fashion.
- Arrange rolls, seam side down, in a oiled pyrex baking dish just large enough to hold rolls in one layer and broil for 3 minutes or until cheese is just melted and bubbling.
- Transfer to serving plates, spoon sauce over and garnish with basil.